U of I Student Day at the Capitol: Know Before You Go
Thank you for registering for the 2017 University of Illinois Student Day at the Capitol. To help you prepare for the day, please review the information below.
In an effort to be more environmentally friendly, full paper packets will not be available on site. To prepare for legislator meetings, please review the resources below and bookmark this web page on your cell phone or tablet for future reference.
Should you have any questions after reading the highlights below, please direct them to Marissa Brewer, assistant vice president for alumni advocacy at the University of Illinois Alumni Association, at 217-333-1648 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
What to Expect:
At the University of Illinois Student Day at the Capitol, you’ll join more than 200 other student leaders in supporting the University of Illinois System. Upon arriving in Springfield, Ill., you’ll first attend a complimentary lunch where you will be briefed on important issues like state funding and student grants. During the advocacy training, you will receive a cheat sheet highlighting high-level talking points to reference during legislator visits. From there, you’ll head to the Capitol to meet with legislators.
Schedule of Events:
11:30 a.m.: Registration (Inn at 835)
Noon: Lunch and advocacy training (Inn at 835)
1 p.m.: Walk to Capitol
1:15 p.m.: Group photo (Steps of the Illinois State Capitol)
1:30 p.m.: Visits with legislators (Illinois State Capitol)
3:30 p.m.: Buses back to campus
Connecting with Your Legislator:
When speaking with your legislator, you are encouraged to share personal stories, statistics or anything else that will help legislators understand why support for the U of I System is so important to you and other students. To prepare for the meeting, please review these valuable resources:
- University of Illinois Day at the Capitol Talking Points
- IPAC* Talking Points (Bills: HB2296 and SB222)
- IPAC* FAQ
- Illinois Public Universities: Investing in Illinois’ Future (Stats)
- State Budget Crisis by the Numbers
- University of Illinois by the Numbers
- University of Illinois Pocket Facts
- Higher Education Coalition Talking Points
- Find Your Legislator
- Lobby Tips
*IPAC: University of Illinois Investment, Performance and Accountability Commitment
Buses to Springfield are being provided free of charge for all student participants. Please see below for departure times from each campus. All buses will leave Springfield no later than 4 p.m.
- UI: The UI bus will depart at 9:30 a.m. from 715 S. Wright St., between the Alma Mater and the Career Center, to the Capitol. The bus will leave the Capitol at 3:30 p.m. to return to 715 S. Wright St.
- UIC: The UIC bus will be departing from outside of Student Center East (SCE) at 7:30 a.m. for Springfield. Before this, there will be a complimentary breakfast in SCE in the Pier Room next to Dunkin’ Donuts at 7 a.m. for all those planning to ride the bus. The bus will leave Springfield at 3:30 p.m. to return to Chicago.
- UIS: The UIS van will arrive at UIS PAC Teardrop at 10:45 a.m. for loading and will depart at 11 a.m. for the Inn at 835. Students who have morning classes and can’t attend the morning session can meet us in the Capitol. The van will leave to head back to campus when the event is over around 3:30 p.m., and it will pick up students at the Inn at 835 parking lot.
If you choose to drive, free parking will be available at the Inn at 835.
Please dress in business attire with comfortable shoes. We encourage you to wear your school colors.
Photography and Videography:
Please be advised that professional photographers and videographers will be on site documenting the day. Photos and film footage will be used for UI Alumni Association-related promotional materials, marketing efforts and productions.